The project involved redeveloping a single storey warehouse into a teaching and workspace for painting students at the Royal College of Art. The new structure is built within the footprint of the College’s original Fraser Ellis Building, allowing the existing brick facade to remain.
- Stripping out existing accommodation: removing asbestos, floor slabs and roof structure; isolating and removing existing mechanical and electrical services
- Placing new piled foundation and ground bearing concrete slab; structural steelwork and precast concrete plank upper floor to form new mezzanine accommodation
- New roof structure and coverings, including sawtooth roof lights
- Exterior cladding to new mezzanine accommodation; and a glass box entrance
- Repairing and adapting existing facade, including replacement door and windows
- New finishes, interior partitions and doors and mechanical/electrical services throughout